920-921-6404

About Us

  • 1945
  • Winslow Engineering Service opens its doors in Los Angeles. The founder’s name is Jim Winslow.
  • 1946
  • Product Engineering Corporation

  • The name is changed to Winslow Product Engineering Corporation. The activities during the early years include engineering and development of food processing machinery, drafting pencils and knitting needles. These same knitting needles are used as ejector pins on early vintage machines.
  • 1950
  • During this conflict, the company is engaged in the manufacture of aircraft components and mechanical parts for some of the early electronic computers.
  • 1954

  • Late in 1954 the Nutplate Drill Motor is introduced along with special drill countersink cutter that are to be used with the Nutplate Drill Motor. The Nutplate Drill Motor catches on rapidly.
  • 1955
  • The Spacematic Drill Motor is added to the line. These Drill Motor lines stay with the company until the breakup in 1973. Many of the latest designs go into production late in 1969.

    Development of the Spacematic Drill motors requires special attention, even to the design of the drills and cutters for these tools. The company is indeed developing new standards for the industry by devising a degree of precision not formerly realized by the aircraft industry. Manufacture of cutters to the exacting tolerance necessary for one-shot drilling of reamer tolerance necessitates extensive study and research into drill pointing methods. The Winslomatic Drill Point Grinder line develops from the research.
  • 1958
  • The Winslomatic is primarily designed for Winslow Product Engineering Corporation’s own use; however, there is great pressure put on by the aircraft industry to utilize this design for the regrinding of their tools. Thus, the decision is made to manufacture the Winslomatic for commercial use. At this point in time, the company is still relatively small with approximately 50 employees. Consequently, the design and perfection of the Winslomatic Drill Point Grinder take a great deal of time and drain the profits made on the aircraft tooling side of the business. But the decision is made, and the company sticks to it.
  • 1960
  • Two models of machine are introduced: the Model 100 and the Model 1000. Both machines are high production grinders; the 100 is hand loaded; the 1000 is hopper loaded. The Winslomatic Grinders are an immediate success in the industry, but the market is limited to companies that are utilizing a great number of drills in their production. Smaller companies cannot afford the Winslomatic Grinder, and even if they could, they cannot use it to its fullest potential. This brings about the necessity to manufacture a machine that is relatively easy to set up and inexpensive. Thus the HC Exactamatic Drill Point Grinder is designed.
  • 1963
  • The HC Exactamatic Drill Point Grinder is introduced into the product line in 1963. This machine grows rapidly in popularity reaching a peak production of 111 units in 1967.
  • 1966
  • Realizing the problem that exists in the industry for sharpening of various cutters, Winslow does not stop with the Exactamatic. In 1966, Winslow introduces two new machines: the Model 400 Drill Point Splitting and Web Thinning Machine and the Model 2000 Tap, Step and Center Drill Grinder.

    The Model 400, designed to automatically split the drills that were ground on the Model 100 machine, becomes and immediate success selling 42 units in the second year.

    Although the Model 2000 does not take off as strongly, it captures half dozen orders in the first few years.

  • 1967
  • Development and expansion continues. Winslow introduces the Model 800 Miniature Drill Point Grinder for drills in the range of #80 through 3/32". Sales roar from the start with over 60 units in the first two years of production.

    In July, Winslow Production Engineering Corporation is acquired by Omark Industries in Portland, Oregon. The old Winslow Corporation now operates under the name of Omark-Winslow Aerospace Tool Subsidiary.
  • 1968
  • Winslow ventures into a new market with the introduction of the Model 4000 End Mill Relieving Machine and the Model 410 End Mill Gashing Machine. Winslow starts on another series of end mill grinding machines named the End Mill Grinding System. This is actually a set of three machines capable of sizing gashing and primary/secondary relieving of endmills from 0 to 1" radius, ¼" through 2" diameters and two to ten flutes. This is indeed the most sophisticated set of machines ever designed and built by Winslow and they receive outstanding recognition in the industry. These machines are identified as the Model 4100, 4200 and 4300.

    Winslow is no longer the little company on the West Coast. It is now a machine tool builder, capable of designing and producing equipment that will enhance any facility in the metal working industry.
  • 1969
  • Winslow adds another dimension to the tool grinding machinery business by acquiring the Kimray Model FR1 Form Relief Grinder. This machine later becomes known as the Model FR2 and finally FR200. This now brings the total machine product line the twelve machine models.
  • 1973
  • Omark-Winslow Aerospace is divided into three groups. The Pneumatic Drill Motors line is purchased by Deutsch American Pneumatic Tool Company and is moved to Gardena, California. In April, the Drill Point Grinding Machine line is purchased by Giddings & Lewis Machine Tool Company and is consolidated into Giddings & Lewis – Bickford Machine Company in Kaukauna, Wisconsin. The Drill – Countersink cutting tool line cannot find a buyer and is dropped from production.

    In the acquisition, Giddings & Lewis also inherits two new machine models under development. The Models 3000 and 3100 End Mill Gashing and Relieving Machines are introduced at EMO in September. These are designed to replace the Model 4000 and 410 machines.

    However, Giddings & Lewis decides to suspend production of all End Mill Grinding Machines until they are able to absorb the Winslow product line and get their feet on the ground. The decision is also made to suspend the manufacture of the Model 800 Miniature Drill Grinder and the Model 2000 Tap, Step and Center Drill Grinder. This reduces the product line to only five remaining models designed for the grinding of drills only.
  • 1977
  • Giddings & Lewis decides to suspend to revive the Model 3000 and 3100 End Mill Grinding Machines under pressure from the industry. However, the product has only a short life. Six additional pairs of machines are produced. After a market survey and review by the industry group, it is decided that this product requires extensive redesign to remain on the market. Giddings & Lewis once again makes the decision to eliminate the End Mill Grinding Machines from their product line.
  • 1980
  • Giddings & Lewis introduces the Model HR Drill Point Grinder at IMTS ’80 and formally announces the development of a new drill point aptly named "The Bickford Point". The Model HR is developed to grind this drill point in one operation and to complement the market already enjoyed by the Model HC. The HR is also quickly accepted by industry selling 18 machines in each of the first two years of manufacture.
  • 1985
  • Due to an extremely depressed machine tool industry, Giddings & Lewis closes the Bickford facility. Winslow is moved to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin and consolidated into the Davis Tool Division of Giddings & Lewis.

    Giddings & Lewis also makes the decision to eliminate the Model 400 Drill Splitting and Web Thinning Machine. The product line once again stands at five models.
  • 1989
  • Giddings & Lewis purchases the Model 520 Drill Point Splitting machine from Mohawk Tool of Montpellier, Ohio. This machine was designed by Mohawk in 1982 and is seen as a great complement to the 100C for the regrinding of split points. Winslow once again manufactures a Drill Point Splitting machine.
  • 1990
  • As the result of an Automotive Industry push, Giddings & Lewis introduces the Model VP4 and IMTS ’90 in September. This completely new technology revolutionizes drill grinding as four electronic servo axes replace all cams and cam motion for the grinding of drills. This machine also uses two of the servo axes to dress the grinding wheel, replacing all dresser cams and making the wheel dresser truly unlimited for the number and type of profiles that can be dressed into the grinding wheel. The first machines operate from a PiC 49 Programmable industrial Computer.
  • 1991
  • As the result of an Aerospace industry push, Giddings & Lewis introduces the Model 525 Drill Point Splitting and Notching Machine. Like the Model VP4, the Model 525 uses an electric servo axis to position the grinding wheel and the machine operates from a PiC 900 Programmable industrial Computer. The Product line now stands at eight machine models.
  • 1993
  • In October, Giddings & Lewis closes the Davis Tool Division and moves the Winslow product line to their manufacturing headquarters on Doty Street in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. The VP4 control is converted over to the PiC 900.
  • 2001

  • July 2001, Winslow Engineering Inc. purchases the complete Winslow product line from Giddings & Lewis. Located at N7677 Peebles Lane Fond du Lac WI 54935, the two new owners; Rick Schroeder and Ken Sippel are both former Winslow Engineers. The company is comprised of former Winslow employees and continues to manufacture the eight current models.